Friday, January 4, 2013

I tend to go other directions than Tigersue

Although I do have some oils at home, I am not as fully into them as my sister so you will have to ask her advice for any true knowledge. I enjoy oils, but am still wishing for something we haven't gotten yet for foods, let alone this, more REAL studies and not observational ones.

I realize that we have forgotten a lot of knowledge we used to use in our rush to the Doctors office for the newest, latest and greatest drug big pharma has created. Does that mean I don't believe in drug treatments. NO! I am not that end of the spectrum. Am I at the one where it all has to be "natural". NO! Just ask my opinion of "organic".  You might get an earful. Both need our brains and logic, but I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water on either end.

What do I mean by the other direction? Well I tend to look into supplementation with minerals and other things. My favorite friend over the last year or so is Vitamin D. None of us living in the area we do are getting enough. Period. It's hard to do because you have to be outside WITHOUT sunscreen and fairly unclothed for your body to make enough. Get real.. this is UTAH. From the standpoint of what we wear, and how much of our year is spent tilted away from the sun, I believe everyone needs to supplement Vitamin D.

Tigersue is right, I can get pretty sick but the last two times I did get something, my total time sick was a lot less than I am used to. The cold I got last spring lasted 5 days. For me that is truly miraculous. I was done, over and no lingering cough like I usually get.

This stomach flu my family has been blessed with was a lot less virulent for me than the rest of my family. My poor husband was in really bad shape, and given that I got it, if it had been my usual before supplementing Vitamin D, I would have been down worse. I did okay.  Was over in a day.

My other friends are Vitamin K2, to help with the building of bones and a mix of Magnesium, calcium and zinc.  I sleep better with the magnesium, and notice if I miss my daily dose.

As with everything, you have to study for you and find what you feel right for you and your family. Don't  feel pushed not to try things from the do it the mainstream crowd, and don't feel pushed by the "give your family this natural fix" crowd either. There is information out there for either and it is okay to go your road. You aren't more wrong if you don't even want to try my Vitamin D.. :)  but I would encourage you to get your level taken. It might be the one single most thing you can do to help you heal.

1 comment:

  1. I giggled at your comment about Organic. In some of my essential oil research the other day I came across a blog that had some nice tips on it written by an aromatherapist. Some I didn't agree with, some I understood why she was saying what she did. She made a comment that she wouldn't use doterra because they didn't have organic on the label. Next thing she is saying is most essential oils are extracted by solvents so you should never take them internally. So here is she is promoting to only take "organic" oils, ignoring that doterra has a pretty strict protocol in determined the purity of their oils so they have no contaminants in them. That is why doterra doesn't use the organic label because organic can have a % of contaminants including pesticides that they won't allow. So here we get bogged up in a "label" and not doing research into an actual product or company.

    I'm right there with you on the vitamins. Doterra has a great pack that they always push, and state, nutrition is always the first thing to fix, I wish they weren't so expensive, way, way out of my budget. I figure that what I take will have to suffice. I know I wasn't as sick as I could have been. My biggest problem was dizziness, and indigestion. Luckily throwing up wasn't too bad once I did. I know I could have done better if I had the right oils at home to try. I'm sure vitamin deficiency is the root of many of our problems in the long run. I do the vit D, not as much as you, but I think it is a good level for me, I feel pretty good when I take it consistently. The magnesium is essential, and I also take chromium, and a stress B tab for my adrenal glands. Like I said and I agree with you there is plenty of room for good natural medicine, which includes the oils and the vitamin supplements and our general health care. Luckily there are more and more doctors that are recognizing there are so many options out there for people to take control of their healthcare, and obamacare will make it that much more important that we do. I think that is what got me looking into oils. What do we do if down the road we can't afford the access the health care we have. I don't believe that the government will help, only hinder in the long run.

    ReplyDelete